Thursday, November 12, 2009

gathering apples

This morning I spent nearly an hour trying to perfect a champagne vinaigrette to accompany a salad I'm making for dinner tomorrow night. Several weeks ago, Clayton and I tried a new Italian restaurant in his neck of the woods. The salad special for the evening was this beautiful tomato, mozzarella, and crouton deliciousness served on a big, fat pile of basal. When selling us on this starter, our waiter described the dressing as a champagne vinaigrette. I can't recreate it! My version is definitely tasty but not what I was aiming for. My homemade croutons are perfect. I found the prettiest assortment of yellow and red, grape and cherry tomatoes. And you really can't go wrong with little balls of mozzarella. But this damn dressing has alluded me!!!!! Maybe my final product will out-perform the original inspiration. But, gotta admit. I'm a little bit of a doubter. Stay tuned . . .

In other food news, trying out a new chocolate icing recipe to go with the cake I'm taking for the same soiree. Look at me - little Miss Suzie-Homemaker 2009!

Further sustenance talk: anybody out there ever try home roasting their own coffee beans?

No comments: