Tuesday, November 23, 2010

thanks giving

I saw my first patient of the day at about 20 minutes after 6 this morning. He was still pretty sleepy and our conversation was reflective of that. As I was leaving the room he made a comment about a medicine I'd given him the day before for a specific complaint. He thanked me. Told me that he was feeling much better.

These words stopped me just feet from the door. And they moved me. Simple words of thanks for what I considered a minor assist when compared to the issues keeping this man in the hospital. And then, "God bless you, Doctor."

Um. What? Had I inadvertently taken a slide (I did it, Clayton! A Sliders reference in my blog!) into another dimension? A place where people not only acknowledged and appreciated acts, but also verbalized their appreciation? What a wonderful place! Of course, I quickly slid back to my old world. A place of anger, frustration, and entitlement. But I'm keeping my early morning memory of another, more wonderful, world and carrying it with me throughout the rest of today.

So thanks, Mr N. And may God bless you as well.

No comments: