Wednesday, June 13, 2012

secret goals and long term habits

Do you ever set little challenges for yourself?  Small goals that you don't tell anyone about ?  I'm absolutely confident that all the experts out there who encourage us to buddy up to achieve are totally spot on.  But I'm a rebel and I say no, thank you.  I like to have secret to do lists that are mine and mine alone.  Insignificant milestones that I celebrate as a party of one.  I'm sure that's probably in part so I don't have to answer to anyone when the box goes unchecked or feel embarrassed because someone feels like I'm aiming too low.  Or maybe, just maybe, it's because it's not really any of their business in the first place.  Sometimes I do verbalize these aspirations.  But it's almost always as an aside.  Or it's a part of a very public New Year resolution kind of thing.

Sunday night I decided that for the next week I wasn't going to spend any money at work.  No morning latte break.  No buying lunch from the cafeteria.  Nada.  I haven't even been putting my credit card on my person!  And it's been good.  I've been making coffee before I leave for work each morning (advantage: less money spent and the benefit of both organic coffee and milk).  I've been bringing something for lunch each day, usually several small things like Greek yogurt or fruit and almonds (advantage: ditto on the less money spent/organic thing and the added YAY of lots of mini-metabolism boosters).  I'm feeling good about my self.  And apparently ultra confident about completely this goal, otherwise probably wouldn't be putting it down in black and white:)  Hoping to slowly start making my way towards a healthier amy this summer!

Of course, I have a couple of other things I'm working on that I'm keeping on the down low for now.  See that?  Rebel.

3 comments: