Wednesday, August 22, 2007

May be time for a nap . . .

So. My IM certification boards are coming up in a frighteningly short amount of time. Seems like the perfect opportunity to further procrastinate the intense studying I should be engaged in and update my little blog . . .

It amazes me how people can completely ruin my day with a careless comment or insensitive remark. How they can make me feel like I've completely wasted my time in my efforts to comfort or reassure them. Maybe more amazing is that I am still so affected by these people. Where is that thickened skin I was supposed to acquire? Where is the disillusionment I'm supposed to now be plagued with? Why, despite the seeming never ending beat down, am I still attached to my idealism? Why the almost desperate need for job satisfaction and the continued striving towards beneficence?

After a 12-plus hour day (not yet ended), following a near sleepless 24 hour call, I'm not sure I know the answer. Think I'll just have to get back to you on that.

2 comments:

-G^2 said...

The fact that you still care is part of what makes you the kick-ass person that you are. It's one of those so-called necessary evils, I suppose, since it also means you really enjoy your job and appreciate it when people recognize you for your hard work as opposed to sinking into a state of apathy about the whole thing. The world needs idealists, after all.

amy said...

Belatedly realizing how depressing and self-indulgent I sound. Got 9 straight hours of sleep last night and feeling a little more upbeat and normal. Sorry about that one guys!:)