Tuesday, September 4, 2007

caffeine content: 46mg/12 fl oz

I think I may be addicted to Diet Coke. I'm talking seriously physically dependent on the stuff. Part of it, I know, is the caffeine load. But there has to be something else. Some other goodness that Coca Cola adds to make me crave that 12 oz silver can.

I'm not really a fan of feeling dependent on something. Thinking about giving it up. Going cold turkey (Curious phrase, by the way. Origin, Gigi?). Yep. Definitely kicking the habit. Right after I finish the one currently sitting three inches from my left hand, I'm cutting DC out of my life.

Feeling very strong. Very much in control. Liking the new non-dependent me.

1 comment:

-G^2 said...

Okay, did some cruising online and found the following answers or variations thereof on several sites:

"Cold turkey" is based on another colloquial phrase, "to talk turkey", meaning to face unpleasant truths squarely. Why are turkeys associated with honesty and straightforward confrontation of difficulties? Who knows for sure, but it may simply be that turkey farmers were renowned at one time for their lack of pretense and blunt speech. Fair enough.

Another espoused possible origin is that drug addicts who quit abruptly (such as post-incarceration) turn pale, clammy, and get goosebumps, appearing much like a cold, plucked turkey. Truth or myth? I can only say that it came from the internet.