Tuesday, July 22, 2008

"I've been everywhere, man."

Since I last blogged much has happened.

I drove from to Dallas, TX to Warrensburg, MO all by my lonesome. Never before attempted and quite the accomplishment as those closest to me well know. And it was all done sans cruise control and, even more amazingly, sans speeding ticket.

Shortly after arrival in the big MO, I left for the corn fields of Nebraska. Observed the ceremonial beginning of wedded bliss for an old friend of the family in Lincoln and caught up with a med school buddy doing a fellowship in Omaha. Apparently at some point while I was (obviously) under the influence I made an Internet purchase of Celine Dion concert tickets. I did have a vague recollection of this but had thought it might have just been a really strange (bad?) dream. But, no. I was greeted with a Ticketmaster package (complete with bill) when I finally made it home to Texas. Damn you Nathan . . . :)

Spent a few days relaxing with the fam back in Warrensburg before getting in the car again for a quick visit to the Show Me state capital for some Burrell family time. Short but very, very sweet!

And then to the KC airport for a trek cross country with Gma. Oregon. Washington. A small detour to Idaho. There was lots of coffee (God bless the Northwest!), lots of family (had to take notes to keep all the cousins straight), and lots upon lots of driving. Overall, good times. But realized that while I might be considered a fairly chatty/social person to most in my acquaintance, I think I may be the wallflower (a, comparatively, super quiet wallflower) of the family. My family can talk. I mean they can really, really talk. That's it. That's all I'm saying:)

Once safely back from that trip I did a quick turn around in the Burg and headed back to Texas. This time I wasn't alone. Carrie and the nieces came along for the ride. We stretched it out to two days with a "layover" in OK. Then had a brief stay in Dallas to see the Flower Mound cousins and check out the aquarium (note: Friday mornings in the summer = day camp day at the DWA = definitely NOT the best time for a visit). Back on the road for a weekend spent in College Station to check on Sarah "sickie" Jo. Met up with Mom who has been taking care of her since the tonsillectomy-from-hell 10 days ago. If there was ever any doubt, I am now very pleased with my early loss of tonsils at age 6.

Mom et al headed out of CS early Sunday morning and I followed late yesterday afternoon. Now they are back in MO (drove it all in one day - impressive!) and I am finally back home in Dallas. Last night I slept in my bed and I woke this morning a happy girl.

Over a month on the road. At least 2000 miles on my Jeep. Four different planes. 7 books. Nine states. Two ferry rides. Hundreds of dollars in gas. 217 pictures. 3 time zones. And 1 very tired Amy . . .

2 comments:

-G^2 said...

For some reason, this seems oddly appropriate.

Welcome back!

Polly said...

So glad you made all your visits . . . it was great to see you. :)