Monday, November 3, 2008

you asked for it

So, an update?

the bird
I was going to tell all of you this great story about how Geege and I rescued a bird from the Texas State Fair. I was going to tell you that because that little bird was so pretty I named her Miles Austin after the perfect specimen of male beauty that is the Cowboys wide receiver who I happened to meet just prior. I was going to tell you how I was planning on transferring a lot of energy previously reserved for life drama (boy and other) into my new companion. I was going to tell you all of that and I was going to tell it with at least some degree of humor. Unfortunately, little Miles Austin passed away after less than a week under my care. And it sucked. Big time.

NOLA
Remember the weekend celebration I mentioned was forthcoming in New Orleans? Well, it's since passed and lived up to all expectations. What I didn't tell you was that the highlight of the weekend was supposed to be the NKOTB concert. Yeah, not joking. That's what Nat wanted for her 30th and what Nat wants Nat gets. As it should be on one's birthday, yes? It. Was. Hilarious. Seriously! There were probably about 15 guys total in the audience and they either had all done something very, very bad and were repenting or else they should be sainted. Everyone else was a drunk/giddy woman in her early 30s. Listen, I'll admit it. I was a big New Kids fan back in the 6th grade. I *hearted* Donnie:) But I thought I was going to have to pump myself up for this show. I thought I was going to have to drink some serious beer and then put on a little show of my own to make this fun for Natalie. Not the case. Oh, I drank serious beer. But I didn't have to fake my enthusiasm one bit. I still can't believe how much fun it was, how into it we got. And I got GREAT video. Yes, it's true. Donnie Wahlberg is still in as much love with me as he was back in '90. The footage proves it and I will definitely share once I get it uploaded to youtube:)

grown-up guy
It turns out that grown-up guys come with grown-up problems. And when those problems get really hard they revert a little bit back to boys. I really wanted to be there for him. I tried really hard to be there for him. But he just wasn't ready for me or for that. Or something. He's not completely gone. Still there in the periphery. The thing is, I don't have the greatest of peripheral vision. Ya know? I'm more of a straight ahead kind of girl . . .

my birthday
Honestly? Not the best one. Not by a long shot.

work
Still going well. Really well, actually. I can't tell you how happy it makes me that I actually enjoy what I do again. And the feeling I get when I'm driving home from a long day, knowing that I made a difference? Yeah. It's good. Really good.

kickball
So, it turns out, coed sports aren't that much fun. There is this superiority thing that guys get in competitive sports that's infuriating. Allow me a little vent? Just because I am not the most athletic person in the world does not mean that I don't know what's going on. Just because I believe in having fun on the field doesn't mean that I'm retarded. Just because I'm a girl does not mean that I'm ignorant about sports. So, back the hell off boys. And, no. Buying me a beer afterwards doesn't make up for the condescending attitude during the game. It just doesn't. Thanks. I feel better.

halloween
Sister Sarah and I went as extreme flag football players. That just about says it all doesn't it?

No comments: