Friday, April 9, 2010

what is . . . ?


This chair belonged to my paternal grandmother and it was one of three things that I chose to keep when she passed away when I was in college. I can still picture her sitting in it while she watched Jeopardy:)

For the last 6 plus years it's been sitting in a corner of my small apartment bedroom, covered by a floral sheet that (somewhat) coordinated with the rest of the room's decor. I uncovered it this morning to take a picture to send for an estimate from an area vintage furniture shop. As sort of a housewarming present to myself, I'd decided to get it reupholstered in a new, fun, modern fabric.

After I took the picture, I sat in it for a while and thought about my Grandma Rozelle. I think she would have loved me holding on to this chair but would have been all for me updating it in whatever way made me happy. Grandparents are great that way:)

You know what I think would make me most happy right now? Leaving it as is.

I think I'll give it a trial run here in my current place and see if I can picture it at home in my new home. The thing about new, fun, modern fabrics? There's always something new, fun, and modern around the corner. And for now I'm totally digging the retro, nostalgic feeling of it's orange and brown stripes.

It so makes me want to watch a little Jeopardy!

Miss you, Grandma . . .

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love jeopardy.

I'm loving your blog! I'll definitely be following.

Check out mine. I know you'll especially love it.

http://theboyfriendshopper.blogspot.com/

Polly said...

I agree - I love that chair!

Polly said...

I agree - I love that chair, and the warmth it gives you when you sit in it outweighs a new cover . . . you can always "cover" it like you and Mandy did those gold couches . . . and not really change it. :)

Rhiannon said...

Thats such a sweet blog.
Your grandma would definately be happy that your getting your use out of that chair like she did.
Looks comfy too :)

us300 said...

If you want to make a change that is temporary, just use a slip cover.

Dar said...

I just ran across your blog. I know exactly how you feel. My grandmother was that way too. She moved on from me almost 9 years ago. I still miss her. Cheers to you for having had that kind of love in your life. And as far as the chair goes, grandmas always want you to be happy so do what feels right.