Friday, April 2, 2010

yeah, that'll work

Is it just me, or is everyone else in the world ridiculously glad March is over?

That was one hell of a nasty month. Some highlights, for sure. But I think it's going to take all of April for me to truly recover.

Moving on . . .

During my junior year of high school I was on the debate team. I freakin' loved it. Our topic was immigration and my cross-x partner and I argued some ridiculous idea about letting in all the old Soviet nuclear scientists. We were saving the world from WW III!. I got to throw words like oblivion around as if I actually knew something other people didn't. I'm pretty sure my coach hated us, but we won pretty regularly. And when we were on the negative, look out. There wasn't anything I was better at than poking holes in someone else's logic. Unless it was word problems. Yeah, maybe I was better at word problems. Fully aware that I was something of a nerd. But, thanks.

Senior year was supposed to be more of the same. My partner had graduated, but I'd secured another. I was no longer designated a novice. I was ready. The topic came out and at first I was totally on board. My new partner and I actually started researching during the summer and we were pumped. Yes, still aware of the nerd factor. Again, thanks.

Debate quickly lost it's thrill however. And most of the blame lay with our topic. It just wasn't fun. And there weren't any good answers or solutions. So, I quit. Several weeks in, I said no to Debate and secured myself a lazy study hall instead. Best decision I made that fall by far.

The topic of that 95/96 debate year?

Health care.

God. I wish study hall was still an option.

4 comments:

The Sanity Inspector said...

We're gonna be debating healthcare reform for generations to come, I think.

William said...

Oh my God, I thought Mike T. was the nerdiest person I knew in high school (because he used to look through the math book the evening after the first day of school after we'd just gotten the math books earlier that day, just so he could see what we'd be learning that year math-wise) . . . until now. Meeting with your debate partner over the summer to research the topic?! Really?! Well Amy, despite you quitting the debate team early on your senior year, after reading about your summertime commitment to forensics I can definitively say that in my eyes you will always be a master-debator. That's right.

amy said...

This is why I post pictures of you in high school, Will:)

Stargirl said...

Hi there Amy,
Wow, I admire you for joining a debate team. I always wanted to do it in college, but wasn't that confident in speaking in public. Sounds like you enjoy to get your point across! I could do with someone like you for my new blog.
I'm quite new to blogging and am trying to build up some opinionated followers for it.
I've created a blog, which I hope will be more like a forum, for advice and the sharing of experiences for young people. I'm going to hit on topics such as relationships, finance, health, etc.
I have only written two posts so far, but as I'm writing a topic everyday I hope it will grow quickly.
I would like to get some followers that would comment their opinions on my posts, to give as much advice to young people as we can.
Take a look at: http://averagetwenty-something.blogspot.com/
I hope it takes your interest!
Thanks and thanks for an amusing read of your blog!
Stargirl