Saturday, November 17, 2007

Christmas Carols and State Pride

Currently watching Tim Allen's Big Trouble and drinking a cup of very curious coffee called "Lola Savannah Cinnamon Stick." It is also Saturday morning and I'm doing the above in my pajamas after having just finished a particularly yummy piece of peanut butter toast. So, probably not necessary to say but, I'm pretty happy.

Seems like the happy times aren't as prevalent as they once were. Could expound on that for days, but not going to because I've recently pledged to myself to do a little more of the positive thinking thing. More claps, less snaps.

I'm usually a little resistant to the early start of the (commercial) Christmas season. It's not even Thanksgiving yet and there are already continuous Christmas songs on the radio. My neighbors are already starting to put up the tree lights. And the seasonal aile at Target is already packed with those super-organized people that are finishing up their holiday shopping. Like I said, I'm usually resistant to this phenomenon. I mean, I'm a fan of the turkey. Give him his time to shine! Right?

But for some reason this year is a little different. I've already replaced the Killers, Brad Paisley, and Feist from my various CD players with Sarah McLachlan's Wintersong, Harry Connick JR's When My Heart Finds Christmas, and a really cheesy holiday mix that includes George Michael and Mariah Carey. And, guess what. They're making me really happy.

Earlier this morning I caught a little bit of CNN. There is a native Kansas women that is up for Senate approval to be the head of US Immigration. But, forget the politics for now. The news clip quoted both of Missouri's senators. And, it made me happy.

I see a MO license plate, it makes me happy. I hear a comment about the Show Me State, I'm happy. Someone tries to argue with me about the superiority of Texas barbecue over KC's offering and I smile. Mostly because I know just how delusional they are, but also because it makes me happy. There's this whole state pride thing that's been happening to me since my arrival in Dallas. But, lately it's been getting a little ridiculous. Because any mention of my home state and I am automatically happy.

So, if you'll excuse me, I've got some Christmas carols to listen to. I've got some state pride to flaunt. And, I've got some seriously happy thoughts to think.

2 comments:

BJUJU said...

happy thoughts are a very good things...keep it up! I am proud of you for looking for the good things, no matter how small.

amy said...

Thanks cousin:)