Saturday, September 27, 2008

what are you waiting for?

Yesterday I was having a bad day. A truly spectacular bad day. It started off on the wrong foot - extreme fatigue from too little sleep, a miscommunication problem that seems to be approaching habit, no milk for my morning coffee. And then it progressed, as bad days tend to do, into more and more of the same. Demanding families, patients that just don't seem to get better. Encounters with other people that were so obviously not having their best day. Lots of little things that wouldn't impress you if I detailed them. Just trust me, it was not a good day. Shortly after I got home I received a text:

GUG: What's up? Have a good day?
me: I would label it as so-so. You?
GUG: Why is that?
me: Just a lot of things that didn't go the way I wanted them to or thought they should.

This interaction quickly followed by a phone call:

GUG: What's going on?
me: Just not having a good day.
GUG: Sorry, I probably kept you up too late.
me: Would've been a bad day regardless I'm sure.
silence
GUG: Wow. Not used to this from you.
me: Used to what?
GUG: Well. You're usually happy, smiley, shiny Amy.
me: Yeah, well that's definitely the most predominate version. She's just not in residence today.
silence
GUG: Ok. Well. Have a good night?
me: Yeah. Thanks. You too.

Great, huh? Exactly the pep talk I needed to turn my day around, right? Well ok, actually it may have been. I was so annoyed that I put on my cutest shirt with my most comfy jeans and took myself out for a girls night. And my girls came through for me. Bad day averted. But, the story doesn't end there. An hour or so into girls night, another phone call:

GUG: Are you in a good mood yet?
me: Uh, actually I am.
GUG: Great! I felt bad that you weren't happy . . .
(heart starting to forgive)
GUG: . . . I mean, I count on YOU to cheer ME up.
(anger returning to heart)
me: Uh-huh.
GUG: Ok, well, have a great night!
me: Yeah. Thanks. You too.

Listen up people. Shiny, happy Amy is exhausted. Ok? Exhausted. And sometimes a different walled-up version of Amy steps in to take care of her. Just for a few hours. Then the new protecter version finds the tired original version a latte. Or maybe some really good tequila. Eventually the smiles come back. So, just relax. Wait it out. Or better yet - listening GUG? - do something about it.

2 comments:

-G^2 said...

Well, here's one good thing to think about.

In less than a week, a bottle of tequila heaven will be here, and we're going to have some damn fine margaritas that will make the whole week better.

KCCowboy said...

Oh my goodness...that is totally not like you, but you know my number, and as you know, I am still in residency, so I am awake at all hours you may need a call. And besides, even in your worse moments, you still bring a smile to my face....hmmm...you have a gift....time to return the favor!