Thursday, June 25, 2009

"If I fail, at least I will have failed my way."

am blogging soundtrack: Beyonce, dangerously in love (yes, really)
am blogging sustenance: my third cup of coffee (I know, shocking)

It's now day 7 of 10 in my June freedom interlude. Already dreading my return to work next Monday. Wondering if it would be totally inappropriate to plan another sabbatical . . . :)

Last night I went swing dancing. The Sons of Herman Hall have an hour long dance lesson every Wednesday night followed by open dancing. During the lesson portion they make you line up and rotate partners every view minutes while they teach you some basic steps. Then at the end they always throw in something new and a little more complicated. My various partners ranged from a spry gentleman in his late 60s to a little red headed boy of about 10. Red expressed extreme frustration in my hesitancy at the new and foreign steps. It was kind of humiliating in a very entertaining way. You know how you feel when you're slowly making your way down your first blue slope of the ski season and you're passed by a blur of a 3 year old? Sort of similar:) All my other "leaders" were very courteous and either helpful or apologetic depending on their skill level. One nice young man named Yuri shyly told me I looked like Jodie Foster. Yeah. Good times! After the lesson concluded I got spun around the room by my very sweet Clayton. Really, really good times:)

Earlier this week I went rock climbing with the fam. Sam and Max have been getting into it as their summer project. So Clayton and I tagged along when Julie took them a few days ago. I hated the harness and the climbing shoes (will those EVER feel even half way comfortable?) but I loved the feeling of working your way to the top. Loved the sense of adventure and the muscle burn that indicated you'd accomplished something. Didn't even mind falling - three times! - off a more advanced inclined wall that I was falsely assured I could "handle." Really flew on that last fall!

Also had a long awaited painting lesson from Julie and Sam. They definitely comprise the more artistic side of the family but I think I held my own. Or at least they were sweet enough to be encouraging:) Made some beautiful shades of blue in my color study "assignment" and am very much looking forward to finishing it up.

I dug out and attempted to play my baritone ukulele this morning. Have issued myself a challenge to learn and perfect at least one song. If my first practice session is anything to go by, this one's going to take some time:)

This week has been about temporarily ditching my doctor's hat and trying a few others on for size. Turns out that - like cute shoes - you can never have too many:)


If a woman rebels against high heeled shoes, she should take care to do it in a very smart hat.
~George Bernard Shaw

2 comments:

William said...

A couple of things:

1. I like that Beyonce CD – the first 3 tracks are great: Appearances by Hov, Sean Paul, and the remix of Naughty Girl has Lil’ Flip (I know it’s not on the CD, but it’s good)

2. Swing Dancing? I can’t really say anything though; I once went to “No Place” when they had a similar class.

3. Baritone ukulele? Why do you have one of these? Please bring it to the ‘burg the next time you come home (or you may have one at your parent’s house in case you want to jam while in Missouri – who knows) – I’d love to hear you rock out. The only ukulele song I know is “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole.

amy said...

My mom has a baritone ukulele back at home:)