Sunday, June 28, 2009

what-a-burger

I woke up in a funk on Friday morning. Probably a combination of some truly weird and disturbing dreams along with the feeling I always get towards the end of a vacation. I considered a variety of potential funk busters and decided to make a call. A really important call as it turns out. Because this would be the first of a series of excellent decisions on my part that would ultimately result in a near perfect weekend.

I called Autumn and we made plans to meet up for manicures and pedicures. Always a good direction to go in when attempting to bust a funk. Post-pampering we made the fateful decision to forgo lunch and instead plop ourselves down at a pub for the rest of the afternoon. We had excellent conversation, great beer, and kinda creepy waitstaff interactions. Listen, I know my toes were looking particularly cute after the deluxe grooming I had just treated them to. But that does not give random waiters the right to touch my feet. Right?!? Still listening crazies?And you should ABSOLUTELY not follow-up that inappropriate behavior by then slipping my drinking buddy your phone number! Luckily A and I both follow the philosophy that what doesn't kill you makes for a really great story. And we got some definite distance off of that one:)

Later that night I made the trek half-way to Oklahoma to meet up with Clayton and a friend of his who was back in the area visiting family. Aaron has been seeing the country these past few months as a truck driver and, as always, I very much enjoyed the opportunity to see yet another side of Clayton through his interactions with his friends. Autumn joined me for this adventure as well and the four of us are pretty sure we've come up with the next great reality show. I won't give away any of the details now. Wouldn't want anyone else to benefit from our brilliance!

Called it a relatively early night so I could squeeze in some quality Clayton time before he left for a Colorado mission trip early Saturday morning. (He's only been gone for 30 hours and I already miss him like crazy!) But it was a fantastic start to the weekend and I was definitely devoid of any residual funk.

Saturday morning was lazily spent and it was probably at this point more than any other during the weekend that I was truly at a crossroads. Make one choice and head in one direction. Make another and hello opposite direction! The decision: Angry Dog, yes? Or Angry Dog, no? Guess which one I chose:) Autumn and I soldiered through the best burgers in Dallas like a couple of champs and set the tone for the rest of the day.

After lunch, nap or movie? Movie. My Sister's Keeper or The Hangover? The Hangover. Rest up for Girl's Night or keep our momentum going? You should always, always go with momentum. I think it's like a law of nature or something:) We went to the Monk for an early dinner (I know, I know! We were shocked to be hungry again too!) and the requisite malt beverages. And then we let the rest of our girls come to us.

Once the girl's night crew was completely assembled, we hit up House of Blues for drinking and dancing. It was 80's night and we did what we came to do. We drank. We danced. We did both with style and enthusiasm. We partook in some girl bonding time and then made our ways home. Autumn and I found ourselves once again feeling hungry and so scavenged my kitchen for leftovers before settling in on my couches with Grandma quilts and Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle. Woke up at 4 in the morning with a monster crick in my neck before turning off the TV and heading to bed.

Woke up this morning to the sound of Autumn searching out ibuprofen and ice water. We decided to throw our hair in quick ponytails, secure Starbucks, and go to the Farmer's Market. An excellent Sunday morning plan! But somewhere after coffee and before arrival downtown, we let thoughts of eggs, hash browns, and biscuits propel us in a different direction. We found ourselves at Norma's here in the Cliff and once again decided that we had made the perfect choice. We were joined by my Flower Mound family and left with very, very happy bellies.

It was a beautiful weekend, nearly perfect. And it's not even over yet:)

1 comment:

Natalie said...

I'm so jealous--I so want to have a girls night with you Amy!!!! Honolulu is calling your name. I'm here for another 18 days. They give the BEST pedicures in the world here. :) LOVE YOU BIG!!!!