Tuesday, May 13, 2008

"I'm gonna be forty!"

blogging soundtrack: Eli Young Band's Level
blogging sustenance: Starbuck's Latin America House Blend
blogging location: the big MO
blogging topic: not yet decided . . .
blogging mood: lonely?

Sitting in my childhood bedroom that now functions as an office of sorts for my mom. Braving the dial-up . . . :)

I drove up to Missouri with little sister Sarah last Friday for a week in the Burg. A wedding and Mother's Day behind me, I'm getting ready for my oldest niece's birthday in a few days. Yesterday I spent a beautiful day out of doors. It was a perfect 70 degrees and could not have been more stereotypically spring. Have spent quality time with my parents, my grandma, and my sister's family. And have plans to visit friends in the area later this week. I've never understood when people say "you can't go home again." Why not? It's so easy, so familiar. No matter where I get my mail delivered or where I keep most of my books, this house and this town will always be a home to me.

That's why this feeling of subtle loneliness is so unsettling. It's not something I've experienced very often and I don't like it. At all. I could be alone for days at a time and not feel lonely. But, here I am surrounded by my family and that's exactly what I feel.

Normally, I can talk to my family about anything. Anything. And at least one of them - dad, mom, or sisters - will understand exactly what I need, exactly where I'm coming from. Maybe that's where the loneliness is coming from this week. I am not understood. Things are happening and I don't feel as if anyone is seeing what I'm seeing, feeling what I'm feeling. Or maybe it's because for some reason no one wants me to express those feelings.

Yuck, yuck, yuck.

I'm just depressing myself. Not exactly going to improve the situation . . . wanna move on?

Baylor. I promised some Baylor details. Here goes: I have a job. Decided to accept the Baylor Dallas offer and I'm actually really excited. Probably won't be ready to start until August - the hospital credentialing process is so tedious! It's a really good deal with great benefits and an obscene amount of time off:)

Thinking about doing a little more travelling before my sabbatical is over. Domestic. Gonna give my passport a much needed breather:) Planning a trip with my grandma to visit family and friends in the Northwest. Haven't been to that part of the country since cousin Julie tied the knot! And I also would like to head off somewhere on my own. I think that may be just what the doctor (who, me?) ordered . . .

Oops. Eli Young is done. And I think I am too.

4 comments:

house63 said...

When?..... Someday!
hope made you ;)

KCCowboy said...

I hear the Northeast is nice this time of year. there is this great place (where the price is right) located 2 miles outsode of NYC called "Hotel Haller." It;s a great place and comes with free breakfast, lunch and dinner....oh yeah, and family!

Congrats on the baylor deal. I hope you find much happiness in thsi new gig. You deserve it. best of luck! they are lucky to have you.

Polly said...

Super congrats on the job!!! Wish it was closer to Missouri, but Dallas isn't too bad . . . good luck with it all.

~Easy said...

The milestones hit us in unexpected ways, don't they?