Friday, October 19, 2007

"It's not easy being green . . ."

Made it safely into Asheville last evening and already having a great time!

So, so great to get to spend time with Natalie - we haven't spent a birthday together since her 21st in KC. Oh, those Westport days:)

Nat works on the Warren Wilson College campus and that's where we've spent the majority of our time so far. This school is so far away from my college experience. It's small, only about 800 students. And it is green. I'm talking seriously green. They have an Eco-dorm that is solar powered with compost toilets. Apparently the toilet was nominated for their homecoming court this year (not kidding!). Unfortunately it got beat out by the college farm goat (again, not kidding!). It's a work college so they have a fully functional farm that is student run. They raise organic beef and pork. They even have a dairy cow that the students can get fresh milk from. Apparently it's not outside the norm for people to make yogurt and cheese in their dorm rooms. So far from my UMKC days!

We hit nearby Black Mountain this afternoon for lunch. I found a coffee house that boasts "the best espresso in the mountains (Rockies Included)" and you know what? I believe them!

Tonight we're going to head into downtown Asheville for something called the Drum Circle. I have no idea what that means but am looking forward to finding out:)

Almost forgot: Last night I went Contra dancing. Oh-my-God. That's it for now. Still recovering . . .

1 comment:

-G^2 said...

For your delight upon your return home, I have located a contra dancing group that meets 3 times a month in Dallas. Yay!