Tuesday, February 5, 2008

ALL THE WAY TO RENO

A friend once told me that the big 3-0 was likely to be my best year yet. At the time, I was less than convinced of that particular prediction. But maybe, just maybe, she was on to something.

Because, after a dubious start, things are starting to fall into place.

Tonight I ran into a friend from residency while getting a cup of coffee. He was studying for Boards (already!) and wondering about where this next year might take him. My advice to him was to take it slow, look at all his options, and not take the whole thing so seriously. If only someone had offered me the same wisdom a few years back!

A bit earlier I went to the book store to find something to read on my upcoming flight. I stopped in the Travel section to see if anything jumped out at me as a "must have" for tomorrow's trip. I kept picking up books on other countires - Scotland, France, South Africa. It's as if I'm already choosing my next destination . . .

This past weekend I made plans with my baby sister to tackle the "Dixie Challenge" sometime in the near future. It involves sitting in a bar for 16 hours straight, occupying one's time with things like "Big Buck Hunter" and marathon card games. We've decided to make it a family endeaver and get Dad on board too:)

Last week I realized that I do indeed still want to practice medicine. I'm just not ready to jump back in quite yet. And that's ok. I've got time.

So, you see, things are getting there. Not sure exactly where "there" is at this moment. But fairly sure that I'll recognize it when I arrive.

Turns out all I really needed to do was get the heck outta Dodge.

No comments: