Friday, February 1, 2008

THE GREAT BEYOND

All right. I now feel able to respond to your responses to my previous plea for help.

I've given it a lot of thought. I think I needed this month-long break from medicine in order to truly search my soul for the right answer. And, I think I'm finally there.

Some of you thought that a franchise endeavor might be right up my alley. Unfortunately, there is a capital investment requirement that I don't think I can swing. So, sorry Nat - no free ice cream for you. And, Geege,it turns out you CAN franchise Starbucks (I was wrong, I admit it). But as they are currently in the process of closing down multiple underperforming spots I don't think it is the wisest financial decision.

Others suggested becoming a critic of some kind. I believe food and movie were mentioned. These ideas gave me great pause. I love food, I love movies. I can be very critical:) But, then I realized that my personal opinions about both of these things are so rarely based on anything concrete. I don't think I'd find success with a trademark "that's yummy, go there." I could be wrong.

Jesse thought I might find professional fulfillment as a shrimp boat captain. At first this seemed like a really good plan. Brilliant even. Because, he's right. It did work for Forrest Gump. Then I realized that I don't really care for shrimp and I decided that I would just be in it for the money. I'm searching for something I can be passionate about . . .

I think "high school math club advisior" was a joke. Or possibly an attempt to cause me a momment of embarrassment over my success on the math team during my high school tenure? Forget it, Nat. I'm proud of my multiple medals for being the undisputed queen of word problems. And we both know, I am no Wanda Grimes.

Bookstore owner. Proprietor of a super cool wine bar. Excellent ideas. Perhaps a unique combination of the two? However, a no-go for now because of the whole money thing.

Screenwriter. Song writer. Flower delivery person. All tempting options but alas, the talent just isn't there.

Katie, I had seriously taken your suggestion for go-go dancer to heart. A career choice that I could, indeed, feel passion for. Unfortunately, a recent bowling-related injury has led me to the conclusion that I may have passed the window of time to initiate a physically demanding career. I'm just not 29 anymore.

The possibility of "web star" really intrigued me Julie. I have long thought myself a star. I've simply been waiting for others to acknowledge this truth:)

I had almost settled on a life of loafing when I spoke recently to my friend (and old partner) Keith. Unlike me, Keith jumped right back into the work force after he followed me out the door of The Mouth of Hell (previously known as Methodist Mansfield). We talked for over an hour about the new hospitals he's staffing and the patients he's caring for. And the answer I was looking for became clear when I finally identified the feeling I was experiencing as we caught up. It was envy.

Turns out I miss medicine. I miss going to the hospital and making sick people better. I miss the mystery. I miss the urgency. I miss using the knowledge I've gained over the past 10 plus years to make a difference. I miss being a doctor.

But. I declare you all winners and very much appreciate your help and guidance during this little search of my soul. And Brian, the prize is indeed biscuits. Biscuits for everyone! Norma's tomorrow am for anyone interested and in the area. On me:)

4 comments:

-G^2 said...

I am totally there.

Jesse said...

Think about it, dude.

You got fried shrimp, barbeque shrimp, shrimp creole, ...

Code name: 1% said...

Gah! You would have made a great go-go dancer. But, I guess the doctor thing is an okay alternative.

Natalie said...

So glad you have come to a conclusion, but I'm a little bummed about the lack of free ice cream coming my way. Any chance I could get ice cream in the hospital cafeteria so we could combine both passions???