Thursday, January 17, 2008

Warning. Angry tirade below.

Last night I met up with a couple of friends I used to work with. During the course of our evening we were approached by people at the neighboring table who wanted my assistance in settling a bet. The bet? Me. Or, at least, it pertained to me. They wanted to know how old I was. I told them and apparently made the guy's night. While the girl at the table said she thought I was 25, the guy had accurately guessed 30. I was surprised. No one ever chooses 30. Whether it's because I don't look it or it's because most people know you're supposed to underestimate a woman's age out of politeness I'm not sure. Regardless, I was curious how this random guy had pegged me. So, I asked him. He said it wasn't because I looked 30 (this statement then followed by a too-little-too-late platitude about me looking like I was 22), he said I acted 30.

Later that same night I was asked (by the same random guy) how come I didn't have a boyfriend. This question was quickly followed by a "I mean, you're a doctor." Just who was feeding this guy all his information anyway? Lynette? You talk way too much sweetie.

Still later that night (I really need to start going to bed at 10pm) "Random" made another appearance to offer me his phone number in case I might want to enjoy his company at a later time.

Yeah.

Right.

Let me begin my tiradal response to the evening's activities by asking "What the HELL did he mean when he said I acted 30?" How does one act 30? Most often when someone refers to a person acting a certain age it is not of a complimentary nature. For example: Stop that, you're acting 12. Or: Come on, you're acting like you're 72 or something. You know what I mean. Acting 30? Umph. (Polly: please insert your own audio here, it's your signature response!)

And, the boyfriend question? I hate, hate, HATE that question. I mean, come on. Do people really expect you to have an answer to that? Something like, "Well I did until yesterday but then I had to kill him because he kept asking me stupid questions." Why? Buddy, I don't know why. But thanks for highlighting it for me. Oh and P.S.? What the hell does me being a doctor have to do with it?

So, thanks so much Mr Random for the super-appealing offer for more stimulating conversation with you. But I think I'll pass. I'm just too busy right now. Why, with all my acting 30 and working on Mission: Nab a boyfriend, how could I possibly find the time?

4 comments:

Jesse said...

Personally, I'd take "You act 30 as a compliment."

There is a certain maturity that comes into your life and changes you between the ages of 23 and 30. By "acting 30" he probably meant that you didn't carry yourself like a silly college girl at a happy hour.

That's a good thing in my book.

As for the "why don't you have a boyfriend question." Well, not so suave on his part. It is a bad subject to bring up in conversation with a lady. Even if (perhaps especially if) your intent in conversation with said lady is to find out if she's willing to get to know you better.

But: He did make an impression on you--else you wouldn't be "ranting" about it ;)--and so, perhaps he accomplished what he set out to accomplish: To convey his interest and to get in your head.

My 2 cents:

If you think he's decently nice, a quarter cute, and half charming...AND you can overlook the "why don't you have a boyfriend" conversation, give him a call and have dinner with him.

If he brings it up again and can't make any interesting conversation, then write him off.

-G^2 said...

Hmmm... so Jesse, you're saying this chap may have been following the "a negative first impression is better than no impression" rule?

Jesse said...

I've oft heard it said that any publicity is good publicity.

Really though, Amy--was the guy a total d-bag, or was he just not all that suave?

amy said...

Ok. Jesse, you have a point. Several in fact.

In retrospect, Guy Random was not a complete ass. My "rant" wasn't entirely on him. Some of all that anger was because the conversation seemed like a million others I've had in the recent past.

Maybe he WAS attempting to comment on my behavior in a complimentary way. Regardless, I have no problem at all with being 30 and certainly see no problems with the way I was "acting" that evening. So, who cares? Right?

The boyfriend question still bugs the hell out of me but this guy is hardly the first to suffer a bad first impression with me because of it. Shockingly, I've heard it before:) I'm sure the question was asked in an effort to initiate conversation. My opinion? Poor effort with resultant poor conversation.

I didn't find this guy charming and I can't remember at all what he looked like. But, he actually did seem like a nice and decent guy. Which is why I was nice and decent in return and didn't off load my tirade on him. I chose instead to off load it on all of you:)

Thanks for your 2 cents Jesse. Seriously. But don't sell yourself short. All that was worth at least a buck twenty-five:)