Monday, March 10, 2008

livin' in the OC

I have lived in the same place since moving to Dallas four plus years ago. It's way too small and I'm probably overdue for an upgrade. But, me and my apartment? We've got a good thing going here.

After I got over my initial mover's remorse when realization struck that I had indeed chosen (unknowingly) to reside in a "dry" area, I slowly began to explore my new home.

Discovery: the Cliff is cool.

Discoverer: me.

Yes. There was the whole Impala shoot-up of 2004. Not our best moment.

But we've also got great historic neighborhoods. We have tree lined streets. We have Norma's. The Bishop Arts District and the Nodding Dog. That little guy on the bike who sells ice cream in the afternoons. I mean, come on! He has a bell and everything! We've got the Belmont Hotel. And the original Gloria's. We even have a goat. I'm serious. Thinking about pushing for him to become our official mascot:) We also have a very pretty golf course. Not that I play golf. But it is pretty.

So what if I can't buy beer and milk at the same place? There's always Industrial Avenue just a bit to the north. Added bonus: I'm probably the only person in my circle of friends that has a bail bondsman pre-picked out in case of emergency. Decided to keep it loyal and go to the one with the blue neon sign (not to be confused with the green or hot pink) next door to "my" liquor store.

I love Oak Cliff.

It's strange, but last Saturday I walked my little 'hood for the very first time.

First time?

Yep.

I try to "power" walk at least a couple times a week for the all important exercise. And I choose to do it here in my neighborhood. Pretty trees and all that. A little nature fix, ya know? But Saturday was different. For reasons that aren't really that interesting, I was sans transportation that morning. Unfortunately I was also in desperate need of a side of biscuits and gravy. And I do mean desperate. So I decided to walk to Norma's.

This was no "power" walk. This was a stroll. A true stroll.

I soaked up the chilly, but bright, morning with the same concentration I later applied to my breakfast. I exchanged friendly greetings with everyone I met. I payed attention to the details: a blue door on a King's Highway home, the many different colors of brick that are uniquely showcased. And I experienced my beloved neighborhood in an entirely new way.

It was pretty freakin' fantastic.

3 comments:

~Easy said...

Oh crap. Has Oak Cliff changed??

I lived in Dallas (Carrollton) for a couple of years so I'm familiar with the area.

amy said...

Not sure how much it has changed since you were in Dallas. I'm in the Kessler Park area.

People are moving in and cleaning things up a little. But not TOO much:)

A friend of mine had a t-shirt a few years ago that had a couple of stick figure guys and a car on it. They were putting another stick figure guy into the trunk of the car. It read: WELCOME TO OAK CLIFF.

And that's still a pretty popular perception of the area . . .

Then last year there was talk for a bit about putting in a Whole Foods. And new restaurants and art gallerys are popping up all the time.

Who knows where we'll end up. But I'm planning on sticking around for a while to find out:)

-G^2 said...

I love OC. And it keeps getting cooler! You never know when a new restaurant will be built, or just discovered.
There's a store that sells every kind of soda pop in a glass bottle you could want.
There's the Green Magnolia of Green Street (capitalized because that's the way I like to think of it).
There's the Goat of Clinton Street (ditto).
You can get a fine Greek dinner, a genuine taco, a delicious risotto, or just the best biscuits and gravy you could ask for all on the same street.
You can get your car detailed for $15!
Add to that some pretty cool people who make their home there, and it seriously makes you want to take up shop in the area.