Tuesday, March 11, 2008

A shout-out to Gigi . . .

There I was last night at the Mavs game. Had a cold over priced beer in one hand and a warm over condiment-ed hot dog in the other. Pretty perfect.

So anyway, there I was chatting with the family seated to my right and nibbling on the dog during pauses in conversation. Perhaps nibbling is not the best description? Ok. Scarfing? That might be more accurate and most likely gives you a hint as to where I'm headed here.

I was attempting to quickly swallow a particularly large bite in order to respond to a question just posed to me. Took me a second to realize it just wasn't happening. Huh. Well, I thought, that's not good. I glanced to my left in order to make eye contact with Gigi. My hands were full so I wasn't able to grasp my neck in that dramatic, but universal, sign used to signal those around you that a little help was needed. Geege just looked at me in confusion, no comprehension of a problem. She kept saying "What? You need something? More napkins?" To be fair, I probably did have ketchup all over my face:)

I was starting to feel a little dizzy and trying to decide which I should abandon - beer or hotdog - in order to self-Heimlich when a fist slammed into my back between my shoulder blades. And out popped the offending processed meat. Aaaahhh. Air. I then asked Gigi for that previously offered napkin. Unfortunately she was still too busy pounding the hell out of my back.

me: It's ok now Gigi. You can stop.

Gigi: Are you sure? (still pounding)

me: Yeah. Pretty sure. Thanks.

Seriously, Gigi? Thanks. I owe you one:)

5 comments:

-G^2 said...

Hey, I'm just sorry it took me so long to get a clue. Guys, seriously, she was totally calm when this happened, just kind of leaning forward with a concerned expression on her face. I didn't realize at first what was happening until I realized she couldn't speak. So I guess those CPR and first aid courses weren't completely lost on me.

BJUJU said...

Way to go GiGi! Now that is what friends are for.

Jesse said...

Gigi, you are perpetually making my short list of good people to have around in all situations.

When are you, Amy, and my brother coming back to Chicago for round 2?

There are more hot dogs to try...and, honestly, it looks like Amy can use the practice.

amy said...

Practice? Well,ok. I wouldn't mind a little practice:)

-G^2 said...

To be fair, Amy would have been totally okay without my intervention, except she may have lost her beer during self-Heimliching. So I didn't really save her life, but I did save a perfectly good glass of beer.