Saturday, March 29, 2008

a toast

I think I may be done with boys for a while. Seriously. I'm just so tired. Understanding continues to elude me and it simply does not seem worth it anymore.

I've spent the majority of my adult life being super content as a single woman. It's only been over the past year that the desire to be in a relationship keeps creeping up on me. And because of that desire I've opened myself up more to relationship potentials. In my youth . . . pause for a smile:) In my youth I was very, very picky. Probably too picky. I never really gave anybody a chance.

I've worked hard as of late to curb that initial impulse that I always get when meeting somebody new. That HE'S-NOT-THE-ONE impulse. It comes from deep, deep inside me. In a voice so strong and self-assured that I'm always a little surprised that it's mine. I've tried to ignore that voice. Asking myself, How could you possibly know that? And I've tried to reason with that voice. There's no harm in giving him a shot. But dammit if that cocky and stubborn voice just isn't always right!

It would be, I'm sure, an entirely different ballgame if I was having fun wading through all the Mr Wrongs in my search for Mr Right.

I'm not having fun.

Most likely, my new need over the past year for a relationship was a direct result of my very unhealthy work situation. It was almost as though I needed someone (anyone?) to make me happy. I had always previously been in charge of my own happiness but that control, that confidence, slipped last year.

God. I really hate writing that. I really hate admitting that.

But then something really freaking fantastic happened. I quit. It probably took all of January for me to really stop being unhappy. And then it took the majority of February for me to remember to be happy. We're now nearing the end of March and it is here that I'm finally hitting my stride.

I'm happy. I really am. Because of a million small moments and some really great people. But mostly? Because of me. Because I am so back in control. Back exactly where I wanna be. And you know what? I like that stubborn, cocky voice in my head. I think she's cool. And I know I can trust her, trust her with something really precious. I can trust her with my renewed happiness.

So, a toast. Here's to having fun. Here's to letting the boys play their boy games without me. Here's to listening to my crazy-picky inner me. And, most importantly, here's to being happy:)

4 comments:

BJUJU said...

Cheers to happiness!
Keep it up and pass it around.

~Easy said...

Good for you!

It's when you stop looking that you'll find what you were seeking.

Cheers *raises beer glass*

KCCowboy said...

It's a sad sad day for single men!!! Any guy would be lucky (well, I think 'lucky' is an understatement, but I can;t think of a better word right now at 2am) to end up with you. Although the blog kind of almost put me in tears, it's actually the jerky guys that i pity, and not you. They are the ones who lost out. Dont worry....all it takes is one guy with his head not shoved up his butt to realize how incredible you are and he'll be begging you to look in his direction. Whoever he is, I like him already and I can already say that this unknown guy has great taste!

As for understanding men, don't bother. I don't even understand myself, and I'm a guy. The trick to finding a good guy is looking for one who thinks with his brain and heart (or in my case, his stomach) and not with his penis. it's actually kind of easy to locate a "penis brain" but some women are blinded by it, because they like the guy so much and they look past it.

Anyway, there is one hell of a lucky guy waiting, and he doesn;t know how you are gunna rock his world one day....what a great adventure waiting for that lucky guy! Until then, keep smiling! Afterall, you get to hang out with you every day....I get to see you once every few years. That makes you the lucky one! (it made sense in my head, i hope it makes sence outside my head)

Natalie said...

Amy I'm grinning right now just thinking of the grin on your face when you typed that entry. I love you friend. Love you BIG! So glad this sabbatical has brought you much-deserved happiness!