Saturday, April 5, 2008

"Go and love some more . . . "

Back in high school there was a guy. He was "hottie-hot-hot drama guy." I'm sure a version of my drama guy was present in every high school across America. My best friend used to swoon every time someone said his name:) I, of course, was entirely too mature to swoon for anybody.

I just couldn't speak in his presence. Seriously.

He was that hot. That moody. That talented. Just that everything.

I could have, perhaps, gone throughout my high school years in this same nonverbal state. After all, me and HHHDG didn't exactly run in the same circles. He was a year older and very much into the creative/artistic scene. I was much too busy dividing time between being the president of everything and mission: get into med school. And never the trains shall meet.

Except they did. Meet, I mean.

Because I was more than the left-brained type A personality that everyone superficially saw me as. More than the stereotype. And so, it turns out, was he.

HHHDG and I met up in Speech 2. I, naturally, was there for some advanced public speaking and introductory debate. He was there to perfect his dramatic and comedic interpretations for competition. And, I think, because it was 1 less hour of "real" work each school day:)

If you are now thinking, "Oh, how sweet - they fell in love while rehearsing a scene from Romeo and Juliet," then you would be the very definition of wrong.

He was horribly, horribly mean to me!

He belittled my every attempt at creative expression. Even my successes - at our more academic assignments - were somehow shown to be just another example of my inadequacy. His contempt for me was palpable and a great antidote to my earlier small brush with hero worship.

I eventually found my voice and gave him back as good as I got. Our classmates, and even our teacher, found the tension endlessly amusing. I, on the other hand, was exhausted by the effort. But somehow, we survived the semester. And while I had definitely lost that pleasant "drama guy" crush, I had gained a love and appreciation for theater. I discovered in myself a little actress and a desire to entertain.

DG -he had lost the HHH designation! - and I met up again the next year when I surprised everyone by taking not only debate but also an hour of theater. We found ourselves paired up frequently for various scenes and almost always got placed in the same groups. We were eventually able to work together in peace and without insult. But he was always a constant challenge for me to be better, to do better. We performed a mean Harold and Maude where I, it must be said, died like a champ:) And we rocked a Children's Theater project where we stole the show with a live-action (no puppets!) version of Punch and Judy!

Although we ended up with a friendship of sorts, I have no idea where DG - Ricky - is now. And I haven't thought about him in years. But last night I had a dream - a really, really hilarious and surreal dream - that my drama guy had a guest appearance in. A little more background is required before the sharing of said dream. But we'll get around to it. Eventually:)

3 comments:

BJUJU said...

you little tease....give me every juicy detail!!!

Natalie said...

Okay, after only one line of this entry, I thought to myself, "Self, is this Ricky Carascillo?" How pleased to find the answer at the bottom of the page. Oh, how I still swoon for him AND his father. Did I ever tell you about the time his dad ordered hot tea at Country Kitchen and I told him about my crush on Ricky. He said, "Why don't you go out?" I said that I wasn't really Ricky's type--after all, I joined you on those Math Relays outings, and worse, was in the band. His dad responded, "Then his type is all wrong!" Father-Son crush. The first, but certainly not the last. :)

amy said...

I love you buggie:)