Monday, April 21, 2008

truck stop junkies

Have been keeping it pretty low-key over the past week or so. Just spending most of my time by myself. Several reasons, but the most predominate is this:

I am not a good traveler.

More specifically, I'm not the best travel companion.

Don't get me wrong, I'm usually hella fun and up for just about anything. But I desperately need my alone time. You know? I am so not one of those people who surrounds themselves with others 24-7. I'd go insane. Seriously. Unfortunately, when you're on a trip with someone, constant company is kind of a hard thing to avoid. So sometimes, I get a little grumpy. Sometimes, it borders more on sulky. And sometimes, I am a complete and total bitch.

I try so, so hard to catch the warning signs. I really do. And I'm getting a lot better at it as I get older. I usually know when I'm hitting my limit and I need to disappear for a while. And some people just take less out of you, if you know what I mean. Others read those warning signs themselves and give me my much needed space without comment. Then there's my family who typically recognize the signs just fine but then lay on the smothering just to get a rise out of me. Gotta love family!:)

Regardless, if possible before a trip, I try to stockpile a little amy-time just to be on the safe side. And with both Mexico and Paris trips coming up in the next 2 weeks I needed that pile to be substantial. So I've been sitting back from my social life. Reading insignificant books and listening to James Taylor. I think I may have eaten some pizza. And possibly even done a little cooking. Feeling recharged and ready for some out-of-the-country fun!

Decided to ease back into the world this past Saturday night, a sort of dry-run. Went to cousin Julie's (and Brian's!) art show and then out for a few drinks. Drinks were drunk at a place called Lee Harvey's here in Dallas. This place is kind of amazing. It's like a little back woods bar smack dab in the middle of the city. It's surrounded on all sides by sketchy, and slightly scary, neighbors but has this kick-ass outside stage and seating area. I drank Bud Light (the locale seemed to call for something domestic and familiar) and listened to a fun rockabilly band. Good stuff.

About half-way through the evening, a large group of unique women entered the establishment. Even better stuff. They were roller derby chicks. And I am in awe. There was lots of piercing and even more fishnet. It seems as though there was some kind of big competition in the area and all the girls headed out to celebrate, presumably still in their skating attire. I've never seen anything like it. Honestly. I felt like I was in a movie. A cheesy, low-budget movie but still a movie. And it made me smile. A lot:)

Alone time is good. Hell, alone time is great. But the world beyond me? Pretty freakin' cool too. And worth the occasional social effort:)

6 comments:

BJUJU said...

I am so glad you came out for the art show and the kiss ass after party! Have a blast on your trip...can't wait to hear about your alone time in Paris. I see street side cafe, coffee and people watching....name some people for me.

~Easy said...

Damn! I'd have like to see that. Did you get a pic of the roller Derby chicks?

house63 said...

TSJ was cool, should have got a t-shirt.
wonder if the roller babes had t-shirts for sale we could have got autographs. ;-)

-G^2 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
-G^2 said...

The roller derby girls did, in fact, have shirts for sale. But what I want is my own shirt with an inspired derby name and number. According to this, my name would be Big AnnihilateHer if I played as a "jammer". I suppose that would do.

KCCowboy said...

Have a great time! You deserve it!! I wanna see pics!