Thursday, April 3, 2008

great scott!

This week the AFI international film festival is in town and I'm attempting to take advantage. Haven't made it to see all that interested me, but the week's not over yet.

As part of the festivities, Victory Park/Plaza by American Airlines Arena (where the Mavs play!) has been hosting showings of old movies. The plaza is surrounded on one side by the arena and on two other sides by buildings that house various restaurants. The last side, across from the arena, is open to the street but faces the W Hotel. There are always (very) large screen TVs hung on the buildings. In fact, there are four on each side that can be rearranged as needed. For the movie showings they are placed in a 2X2 square to form 1 super large movie "screen."

Tuesday night they had advertised a showing of Who Framed Roger Rabbit? and I thought, sounds like fun!

Along with a couple of friends, I packed up my lawn chair and headed down. I had some vague sense of unease related to getting there too late and not finding a good spot. I shouldn't have worried. When we arrived, just a few minutes before the 7 pm start time, only about 10 other people had beat us to the punch. Others did eventually trickle in, but overall the attendance level was surprisingly low.

Perhaps it was because of the weather? It was cold. I forget what the sun really does for your comfort level in the springtime. Once the sun set over our little outdoor movie theater, the temperature plummeted. Earlier in the evening I had thought that maybe my sweater coat was a bit of an overkill. It is now my favorite article of clothing:)

The next hit? No Roger Rabbit. Apparently we were the only people not apprised of the change. Our entertainment for the evening ended up being Back to the Future. Although I've seen the movie many, many times I am young enough that I missed its theatrical debut. Something special about seeing a time-traveling DeLorian in all its glory on the big screen!

So, to summarize the evening: It was cold. And really freaking cool. And under appreciated by the masses. I loved it!

No comments: