Saturday, April 12, 2008

SHE'S A REBEL. Who, me?

am blogging soundtrack: Green Day's American Idiot
am blogging sustenance: Allegro Breakfast Blend organic coffee
am blogging topic: the meaning of life (or, what I did yesterday)

I woke up early yesterday morning in an effort to get organized. I made coffee. I did my typical morning blog rounds - where is everybody lately? And I contemplated my future. Contemplation of future brought on by a (then) pending job interview and an awareness of the shrinking nature of my bank account.

When the coffee pot was empty, my hair was semi-dry, and my future was thoroughly contemplated I headed out for said interview. Some clarification: this wasn't really an interview. I've previously met nearly everyone in this particular hospitalist group and count 3 of them as close personal friends. It was more of a "hey, I'm interested, are you?" kind of thing. Incidentally, I am and they are. But during the course of our conversation I realized something important.

I AM ON SABBATICAL.

Yeah, good call Amy. Right? I mean, didn't I already know this? I guess I did, to a point. But not really convinced that I knew this fact in an ALL CAPS way. Know what I mean? Also realized that it would probably take 3 plus months after I accepted the position before all the paperwork would be completed and I could start working again. Which means,

I AM STILL ON SABBATICAL.

Again, a somewhat obvious conclusion. But revolutionary at the same time. Time. TIME. I still have time! But what to do with it? Already have trips planned for Mexico and Paris. Extended Missouri visit also in the works. What else?!? I felt an urgency to get started immediately!

So this is what I did with the rest of my day:
  1. talked to my cousin Julie
  2. took a walk
  3. made (really yummy) black bean burgers
  4. watched the first 15 minutes of E.T.
  5. re-read a book for probably the fourth time
  6. spent an hour and 45 minutes chatting on my cell with my little sister Sarah

And this is what I figured out about life:

  1. You have to let the little things make you happy.
  2. Friends that also happen to be family are God's greatest gift.
  3. Black beans are a good source of fiber.
  4. And fiber is an important part of a healthy, balanced diet.
  5. Work is work, life is life. They are not the same thing.
  6. Time spent alone is time well spent.

3 comments:

KCCowboy said...

Yaaay for sabbatical!!! You are so lucky! I am still waiting for a free moment to pee, let alone time to relax.

You rock!

KCCowboy said...

Yaaay for sabbatical!!! You are so lucky! I am still waiting for a free moment to pee, let alone time to relax.

You rock!

-G^2 said...

Little things are important. I have learned that digging in the dirt and getting to use THE CLAW takes me back to being a kid, and makes me very very happy.

I have a suspicion that Mexican beaches also make me happy. To Cancun!