Monday, June 4, 2007

Kurt Vonnegut said . . .

Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possibly can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something.

Today I admitted an 89 year old lady to the hospital who likes to spend her time canning vegetables and crocheting various items. I envy her.

Not just because I'm still working on the same blue crocheted scarf I started in 7th grade. And not because her tomatoes are "coming up." Or, at least not entirely - I do miss my mom's garden tomatoes!

I envy her the freedom to spend her day however she chooses. If she feels like snapping a couple of green beans, she snaps some beans. If she wants to make some sort of dainty doily, the doily gets made. Granted, she is a little demented. But pleasant with it:) And if asked, she may very well envy me. My youth, my life ahead. Something along those lines. Not thinking I'd like to trade places with her exactly, but I would like a little of that freedom.

Freedom to spend time doing something I love. Spending time creating something, as Mr. Vonnegut has recommended. Maybe I can start with the dancing along to the radio. Or the really horrible poem? Perhaps, I'll just continue my daily rants and ramblings posted here and be content with that for now. Better yet, I think I'll see about finishing that scarf . . .

2 comments:

Jo Bird said...

my sister, one very important question...what is your passion?

amy said...

Ask me again some other time,Jo. Right now, I really don't know.