Sunday, June 3, 2007

Thunderstorms and Seersucker

There is nothing quite so good as a perfect cup of coffee early on a Sunday morning, knowing you have the whole day ahead of you. Unless it's having the previously mentioned perfect cup early on a Saturday morning, knowing you have the whole weekend ahead of you. But seeing as how I don't (frustratingly) have the power to turn back time I'll take what I've got and be happy.



I've been trying to do that more often lately: be happy. It didn't used to be something that I had to make an effort to do. I was a happy person, I had a happy life. It was just that easy.



I recently sent out a challenge via e-mail to a group of friends re: being happy. I asked them to name 5 things that made them happy on that particular day. Their responses ranged from the small and superficial (mine actually!) to the heartfelt and moving. Some of them responded only back to me but some sent out a group reply. I liked those best. They don't all know each other but they shared their happy thoughts, their happy stories. And that made me happy.



I'm currently sitting at my kitchen table in my pink flamingo seersucker pajamas with the now infamous cup of Community Private Reserve Hazelnut coffee. Listening to Wilco's new CD. Pretty happy.



Trying not to think about what happens when the CD ends, when the coffee pot (because, oh yes, I made a full pot!) is empty. Will I have to search out some new source of happiness? Or will the seersucker and the memories be enough to float on for a while? Like I said, it used to be so easy.



I guess I'm worried that this is what happens as we get older. Worried that we have to seek out happiness . Worried, if I'm completely honest, that I may not be enough anymore. That I've finally hit the time that I may need to have someone in my life to be completely happy. My oh-so-strong sense of independence is screaming at me right now. Let me take a minute to turn up the Wilco and refresh my cup . . .



On my trip to the coffee pot I've briefly exited my self-absorbed bubble and noticed that the sky is completely black now. Looks like we're in for some weather. And apparently I'm safe for the next few hours, no more searching. Because I love a good storm. They make me happy.

1 comment:

-G^2 said...

Happiness is a peculiar animal. Sometimes it's called up, sometimes you stumble into it, and sometimes it hides somewhere and you have to search for it.

Calling it up can be as easy as popping in a good movie for an umpteenth view or placing a phone call to family. Picking up your favorite book to reread a choice passage. Tidying up a cabinet. That kind of happiness for me tends to be warm, comfy, but doesn't always linger for long.

Happiness you stumble on is unpredictable. It might stick around for a while or just make you laugh for a good 10 minutes. Maybe it's the random stranger at the bookshop who points you to something you've never heard of. Maybe it's hearing something absolutely ridiculous at the table next to you. It's getting the winning lotto ticket.

The last type... such a pain. We don't know where it is, what it looks like, or how far away it might be. It usually ends up being something surprizing. It has the potential of making you very un-happy in the process. But quests are like that. The pursuit itself can lead to unforeseen happiness, and we find fuel to keep going in small treasures found along the way.

All that being said, sometimes happiness finds you. Hopefully it's lurking around the corner.