Tuesday, June 5, 2007

mild nausea and mental nunchucks

Do you ever open yourself up, just put yourself out there? Rumor has it that it can be very, very good. It can escalate a friendship, start a relationship. Get you something you really wanted. Rumor has it.

Haven't really had that particular experience myself. Open myself up all the time. To hope. To hurt. I put myself out there and sometimes all I get is sick to my stomach. You'll have to trust me when I say that isn't usually what I'm aiming for.

But I keep doing it. I keep expressing my feelings. I keep being honest with myself, with others. I keep opening myself up to the hope of some kind of return. And I keep dealing with the hurt that is often my only reward.

I have a friend who recently initiated a really intriguing conversation (via blog!) about strength, vulnerability, and truth. Those concepts are so intertwined. There is often strength in being vulnerable, in opening yourself up. That openness, that vulnerability, often leads to truth not otherwise seen. And truth? Sometimes there is no greater strength than knowing the truth. Especially,perhaps, knowing a truth about yourself.

So I continue to challenge myself to be open. To be honest. To express my feelings, whatever they may be. To put myself out there. And, I may just be imagining it but, I think I'm already starting to feel just a little bit stronger.

Yep. I'm right. Definitely feeling stronger. Look out world, I'm flexing my mental muscles as we speak:)

1 comment:

-G^2 said...

Interesting post, and very true. Damn, I would have never done well against you if I had been in debate.