Monday, June 25, 2007

Peanut Butter and Patsy Cline

Today is a sad day.
Although not the conclusion, it is certainly the end of a chapter in my life. This particular chapter started 4 years ago. It started on the day I met a boy from Louisiana named Ian. It ends today on the day he leaves Dallas for Atlanta. He has good, even excellent, reasons for the relocation. Doesn't seem to make the day any less sad however. Because this boy named Ian is my best friend. And I don't want him to go.

We met at intern orientation. For a while our story stalled there. We were simply c0-interns, making it through the day. Although friendly with one another, we weren't yet friends. The first turning point in our friendship occurred several months into that first year. There was a bar. There was alcohol. And there was a flower pot. I can't possibly hope to describe the event in the style, or with the respect, it deserves. But luckily for all of you, Ian-on-ambien has made me proud. http://www.littlerogue77.blogspot.com/

The months and years that followed were filled with food, fun, and intoxication. We drank coffee. We drank coke. We drank Bud Light. We drank Pinot. Hell, we just spent a lot of time drinking! And we ate - the best burgers in Dallas. Breadwinners. Breakfast. And then there was the cheese. We ate a lot of cheese:)

I met his family and he met mine. And we became our own sort of nontraditional, but entirely real and sincere, family. Complete with our very own illegitimate (and imaginary!) son named Ethan. He's such a looker:)

We saw Napa Valley together in the rain.

We faced karaoke hell and came out victorious (Shut up Ian, you know we rocked!).

He was my hero (that cab driver was so mean!) and I was his biggest fan.

We've gone through a lot together - stupid people, stupid jobs, the stupidity of life in general. And came out on the opposite end of these past four years in pretty good spirits. As pretty amazing people. With very healthy self esteems!

So, Ian tonight we'll go out to dinner. We'll eat. We'll drink. We will no doubt have one hell of a good time. We'll send you off to ATL in style buddy, I promise! And then I'll go home and be a little sad. Maybe even wallow just a bit. Then I'll put on some Sheryl. Or better yet, I'll put on a little Patsy. I'll remember these past 4 years and all our good times. I'll count myself lucky that this chapter in my life was filled with you. And then I'll prepare myself for the sequel:)


No comments: